Thursday, June 08, 2006

Sleeping Like a Baby! Ha!!!!!!

Whoever thought of that saying should have been at my house last night! I could have proved them wrong one thousand times and for 1 and 1/2 hours!
So, as I've mentioned before, my little baby girl does not like to sleep in her own bed for long periods of time. If we cooperate with her and bring her to our bed, she'll sleep for hours and hours and hours! My nanny has mentioned to me that she also enjoys the company of others during her nap times. Nanny holding baby girl = 1 to 2 hours of nap, Nanny not holding baby girl= 20 minute cat nap that leaves baby girl a lovely grump head to come home to.

So last night I decided that it was time to take this matter into my own hands. What am I saying? It's always in my own hands, my dear husband hasn't a clue when it comes to putting a child to sleep. Perhaps it's my own fault because every time he tries, he gets that helpless look, and claims to not know how to do (insert child rearing ability here), and I always step in to save the day! It's a bad habit that I trying to work on.

Last night, baby girl was exhausted. I went to put her to bed. She was half asleep and half awake. They say put them to bed when they are drowsy. Yes, I did that. The moment I laid her in her bed, she flipped her body onto her tummy, pushed her tummy off the mattress and was standing in 2 seconds flat. How does a drowsy child do that you ask? She has special powers that allow her to react to her arch, rival enemy, the crib is what I think. Then I told her it was time to go night-night, kissed her head, and up she jumped again. This went on for about 5 mintues with her screaming as if she was being tortured. Then I kissed her head, and said Mommy's going now, and walked out of the room. She proceeded to cry for 20 minutes. I returned and the prior scene repeated itself, only this time I got to change a poopy diaper and feel badly that perhaps that was the reason that she had been crying. Once again, I told her night-night, and I left the room. Another 20 minutes went by, and by this time, I'm ready to run screaming from my home. So I return for a 3rd time and the process is repeated. 2o more minutes and I go back in. She lays her head on my chest with the crib bars between us, and tries to keep her eyes open. She's so tired that her legs are buckling, and finally I am able to get her to sit in her crib, then ease her into laying position. I patted her back for a few minutes, and then she peacefully slept for the entire night in her own bed until 6:3o this morning. Was it worth it? I don't know. Perhaps I should just let her sleep with me, less stress for me, less upset and trauma for her. We'll see what happens tonight!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was definitely worth it! Just you wait. (Allegedly) 8 hours of continuous sleep is very good for you and after getting it regularly you will feel like a new person. Little A is now almost 2 - and goes down fine at bedtime but likes some company around 2 am fairly regularly. I feel your pain woman!!!

Anonymous said...

It was definitely worth it! Just you wait. (Allegedly) 8 hours of continuous sleep is very good for you and after getting it regularly you will feel like a new person. Little A is now almost 2 - and goes down fine at bedtime but likes some company around 2 am fairly regularly. I feel your pain woman!!!