Thursday, September 14, 2006

It's a miracle!

My sweet girl is what is known as a picky eater. I don't think those words do her justice, something stronger, like only likes to eat about 5 things in the world. She's always been the one that eats a different meal, or eats nothing at a meal. I've exhausted myself reading different ideas on the picky eater topic, ranging from serve them what you eat, they'll cave in eventually to don't fight about it, that will only make her resent food. And I've had many a miserable dinner listening to her fuss and cry about "all that yucky food" on her plate. I've landed somewhere in the middle on the topic. She now has grilled cheese, french fries, chicken nuggets, apples, yogurt, banannas, grapes, cheese sandwich on a potato roll, peanut butter sandwich,with no jelly please, crossants, taco shells, and anything sweet on her menu of things she will eat.
I know some frown upon me for not making her eat what we eat, but they do not live with me, and they are not in charge of my home, so I cast their judgement to the wind.

Starting Kindergarten was a big thing for us food wise. We bought a lunch box, and I pondered what I could fill it with that would make my sweet girl happy. The first day I packed a chocolate pudding, cheese sandwich, some grapes, and some pringles potato chips, with a peanut butter bar for snack. The lunch box came home with only a few chips left, and a few grapes. I could not believe that my little "eat like a bird" child had finished off all of this food and left only a few morsels. The days continued like this for the rest of the week. Week 2 came, and a little more came home, but it was the junk, not the good healthy stuff. I feel like a normal mommy who has a child who eats. (I know it's not exotic food that she's eating, but she's eating typical school age lunch time food with other kids). The excitement came to a peak last night when we attended our very first back to school night. Another little girls mommy commented to me that my sweet girl had made quite an impression on her daughter's eating habits. I cringed at first, fearing what I might hear. It appears that my sweet girl's eating habits are being watched by others, and they are looking up to her. The little girl in my sweet girl's class demanded a cheese sandwich for her lunch because "Sweet girl gets one every day, and she says they are delicous." For those of you who know my sweet girl and our battle with the world of food, you know that this is a very proud moment for me.

No comments: