Friday, September 08, 2006

A crazy way to end the week...

I went back to work 2 weeks ago after a fun filled summer with my girls. I was ready to go back to school and get my classroom set up for a new year of learning, and man, I made that classroom look great. Everything was in place, it looked perfect, and then they came. 25 little darlings walked into my door on Tuesday morning. I wasn't there, but I bet they looked cute.
I wasn't there because my sweet girl was starting Kindergarten and she was getting on a school bus for the first time at exactly the same time my new students were walking in the door. I struck a deal with my principal and found a wonderful person to greet my students and read a book to them until I got there.
Well, sweet girl loved the bus ride, loved the first day of school, and had nothing, but great things to say about Kindergarten.

As you can see it was an exciting day. And I held back my tears until the bus had driven away, and a had a small crying moment, but then I had to hurry on my way to meet my own students.

Speaking of my own students, they are quite a bunch. Not the worst, or weirdest bunch I've ever had, but definitely the chattiest. They won't shut up! Even the one who speaks only Japanese. This morning he was feeling a bit homesick, and he cried for 1 1/2 hours yelling at me in japanese (his yelling was translated by another student who is fluent in japanese and english as "Call my mom, I want to go home, you tell her to come and get me!) .

I survived my first week of school, and my dear husband and I decided to go out to dinner to celebrate. No babysitter, so the girlies come along for what was the most eventful, and unpleasant dinner I have ever had. Baby girl fell asleep on the way to Coastal Flats, home of the best, tangy Calamari that you have ever tasted, and a pretty good lobster roll too. We walked around a bit while we waited for our table, and she woke up in a good mood. "It's going to be a great dinner," we were thinking. But, boy were we mistaken.

As soon as we sat down at the table, baby girl starts fussing, which escalated to a cry, then to screams and wails. So my dear husband walked her around. She was happy and they came back, then she got mad again because he would not let her poke herself in the eye with a fork. Then sweet girl started to irritate baby girl by pushing, tugging, taking things away(something she's gotten quite good at lately, irritating her baby sister). So more crying! The waiter brings the girls food early, but baby girl will not eat because she is too mad. She loves food, and usually it can cure the angry baby that she sometime is, but not tonight. It's my turn to walk her around. (are you getting a picture in your head of this yet? Not relaxing, not celabratory at all!)

We come back to the table and she is calmed, and she starts to eat her grilled cheese sandwich. She's so independent, and wants to do it by herself. I let her, and I eat my yummy lobster roll with my left hand (my right hand that I usually eat with is holding onto baby girl so that she doesn't climb into the next booth or fall under the table). All of a sudden, I hear a waitress say, "Oh no, "and I look behind me to where my baby girl has dropped her half eaten grilled cheese over the back of our booth onto the back of another paying customer at the restaurant. The waitress takes the sandwich and inspects the mans very dry-clean only shirt, which luckily doesn't have a grilled cheese mark on it. I apologize and promise that nothing else will bother them that evening. Then baby girl starts her wailing again, this time her sister has smooshed her into the corner and she is stuck. What does a stressed out mommy do when faced with this situation? why, I give my sweet girl a little pinch and tell her to settle down and treat her sister nicely. The pinch only makes her scream and wail, and now any joy that was left in this dinner is gone. My dear husband takes those girls out to the the front of the restauarant, and I am left in peace to pay the bill. He knew that I was just about to step over the edge into really bad mommyhood, so I was awarded this akward, sit in the booth alone time. The waiter was relieved that we were on our way out and told me to have a very good evening in just a little, too friendly way, and I went on my way to find my family. They were easy to spot, one was sitting on the ground crying about something and the other one was trying to wrestle free of her daddy's arms.

And that, my friends, is how I spent my Friday evening!

Hopefully tomorrow will bring much rest and relaxation...

6 comments:

Irene said...

Irene's advice to you is to find a good babysitter (or drop them at our house.) They're more manageable now, but for awhile almost all restaurant adventures w/my kids end up with us saying we should have just thrown $60 off a bridge.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Irene. We have one successful dinner with A and then I get bold and think we can do it again - Sadly we cannot - so homebodies we are. I am glad you both had (overall) good first weeks of school. Any tears from Irene sending her second born off to school?

Anonymous said...

Coastal Flats? On a Friday night? With Kids?

Anonymous said...

Irene does more things, outtings, adventures, etc. with her kids than any mom I know. Her kids are wonderful -- what is she talking about??

Anonymous said...

And as for you, Me!, I think you handled dinner just right. It drives me nutty when parents ignore fussy kids at the restaurants rather than cut bait and leave. It's one thing to tough it out at home but when my kids pull that crap in a restaurant or store I will drop everything & leave.

Coastal Flats will still be there for date night next month :)

Me! said...

Thanks for all of your support.
In baby girl's defense, she's getting some big ole molars, and that does not make for a happy baby.
I am planning a date night in the near future so that I may enjoy a yummy dinner!